FIU’s Cuban Research Institute will host Cuban blogger and independent journalist, Yoani Sánchez, for a lecture on the role of technologies and social media in driving Cuba’s democratization. While at FIU, Sanchez will receive the FIU Medallion of Courage, which recognizes individuals who pursue or defend a noble cause at a personal cost. FIU’s Cuba experts will be on hand to discuss issues related to Sanchez’s impact, such as freedom of expression, human rights and political change.
The event will also be streamed live in English and Spanish via http://sites.fiu.edu/yoani/. Follow the discussion on Twitter via #FIUYoani.
- Yoani Sanchez, guest lecturer, Cuban blogger of Generación Y and independent journalist
- Jorge Duany, professor and director of the Cuban Research Institute at FIU
- Eduardo Gamarra, professor in the Department of Politics and International Relations in the School of International and Public Affairs at FIU
- John Virtue, director of the International Media Center at FIU
- Marifeli Perez-Stable, interim director of the Latin American and Caribbean Center at FIU
- Teresa Ponte, chair of the department of Journalism and Broadcasting in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at FIU
- Raul Reis, dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at FIU
When: Monday, April 1, 2013
5:30 p.m. Media registration and set up
7:30 p.m. Yoani Sanchez lecture followed by audience Q & A
Where: Herbert and Nicole Wertheim Performing Arts Center on FIU’s Modesto A. Maidique Campus, 11200 SW 8th St., in West Miami-Dade.
- All tickets and media credentials for this event have been distributed. Only registered media will be allowed in the event venue. All others can view the event live via http://sites.fiu.edu/yoani/ and follow the discussion on Twitter via #FIUYoani.
- Cameras will be about 50 feet from the stage.
- The event will be fully conducted in Spanish with simultaneous English interpretation. Mult boxes will be available for both the Spanish and English language audio feeds.
- There will be reserved parking in the Blue garage across the road from venue.
- Live trucks need to park on the east side of the WPAC.