Whether pulling in the biggest catch of the day or celebrating dockside, participants in the FIU Alumni Association’s 11th annual FIU Scholarship Fishing Tournament will be united in a great cause – raising dollars for FIU scholars.
This one-day offshore tournament will feature fishing for dolphin, on Sat., June 1. For the first time in the history of the tournament, the Alumni Association will host a family fun dock party following the tournament.
In addition to recognizing our 2013 Alumni Association Scholarship recipients, the Dock Party will be free to the public and feature music and activities for everyone to enjoy, including:
- Water pollution prevention activities for children, hosted by Officer Snook
- Live DJ from Pinchadisco 305
- Dope Doll Vintage selling vintage clothing and accessories, with 10% of the day’s proceeds to benefit FIU scholarships
- Boater safety activities provided by ACR Electronics
- A sea-creature Touch Tank, provided by FIU Marine Sciences Program
For the low cost of $15, participants can enjoy unlimited lechon, chicken and short ribs provided by La Caja China. Additionally, unlimited beverage samples will be provided by FIUBrew/FIU Hospitality, Blackheart Rum, Pama, Admiral Nelson’s, Kona Brewing, Mariposa Agave Nectar Liqueur and O.N.E. Coconut Water.
The tournament is primarily for dolphin fishing; however, prizes are also given for the biggest fun fish, which include wahoo, tuna or kingfish. Other prize categories include: Junior Angler, Ladies Dolphin, Largest Dolphin and Most Aggregate Weight.
- The Legacy Scholarship, awarded to students whose parents, grandparents or siblings are graduates of the university; and
- The Panther Pride Scholarship, awarded to students demonstrating outstanding involvement in campus life and activities.
The tournament and party will take place at the Sea Isle Marina located at 1635 North Bayshore Dr., Miami, FL, 33131.
The dock party will begin at 2 p.m., after the weigh-in at Sea Isle Marina.
Fishing boat entries are available for $350 and include entry for up to four anglers.
Led by a volunteer board of directors, the FIU Alumni Association serves the community by providing a lifelong connection between the university and its alumni, students, family and friends. It provides opportunities for the community to support FIU’s key strategic initiatives, which include the revitalization and expansion of financial resources, achieving academic excellence, enhancing research and creative initiatives, and engaging the FIU community.