In April 2013, FIU’s Taekwondo club competed in two major contests and emerged victorious.
The first victory came at the Florida State Championships held in Orlando, Fla. where the team collectively won 10 gold, 2 silver and 3 bronze medals. Below are the results:
- Coach Chris Alvarez: 3 gold medals
- Coach Ray Alvarez: 1 gold and 1 bronze medal
- Michael Hobbs: 1 gold and 1 silver medal
- Sky Choi: 1 gold, 1 silver, and 1 bronze medal
- Alfonso Meneses: 2 gold medals
- Daniel Cuyun: 2 gold medals
- Chris Maurice: 1 gold and 1 bronze medal
One week later, the club traveled to the the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. and competed against schools such as Stanford, Princeton, UC Irvine, Brown University, Texas A&M, and MIT at the National Collegiate Championships. Although FIU entered the contest with one of the smallest contingencies, all 5 members placed in this high-level competition. Below are the results:
- Coach Chris Alvarez: bronze medalist in both Men’s Fly-Weight Sparring and Team Forms
- Coach Ray Alvarez: bronze medalist in Team Forms
- Sky Choi: bronze medalist in Team Forms
- Alfonso Meneses: gold medalist in Men’s Fly-Weight Blue Belt Sparring and bronze medalist in Blue Belt Forms
- Daniel Cuyun: silver medalist in both Men’s Middle-Weight Yellow Belt Sparring and Yellow Belt Forms
After a brief respite, the FIU Taekwondo club is back in the gym, training at the MMC Recreation Center. Email email@example.com for information on joining or supporting.