President Mark B. Rosenberg sent the following message to the FIU community on Aug. 26, 2013:
Welcome to Fall 2013!
If this is your first semester with us, welcome to our Panther family. If you are a returning student, welcome to the start of another promising semester at our FIU!
FIU is a student-centered university where every student counts!
We are committed to giving you the skills you need to compete in the 21st century global marketplace and become innovative job creators. Excellent faculty! State-of-the-art classrooms and facilities! And at your FIU, you have the opportunity to partake in internships, study abroad programs, join one of our more than 150 student organizations or even start your own! The possibilities are plentiful.
Coming up this semester:
- Make sure you make plans to attend our 2013 Geopolitical Summit, America at the Crossroads: Power and Strategy in U.S. Foreign Relations, on Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2013. This year we are joined by speakers,Vali Nasr, a leading American expert on the Middle East, dean of the Johns Hopkins University Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies and a contributor at Bloomberg View and Moises Naim, a senior associate in Carnegie’s International Economics Program, where his research focuses on international economics and global politics.
- We are hosting our second annual TEDxFIU because FIU ideas are worth spreading! Join us Nov. 7, 2013, as we feature some of our university’s most prominent figures as its speakers!
- You might also have noticed a new addition to our beautiful MMC campus! Parkview Residence Hall will provide housing to an additional 620 students this semester. We are so pleased FIU can offer you more quality choices!
- This summer, FIU sports took a step up, and officially joined Conference USA: the conference’s member institutions are among the nation’s best in academic performance and provide us with numerous media exposure opportunities.
- We also have two new coaches joining us: Anthony Evans, our basketball coach, is coming to us from Norfolk State Spartans just off a 26-win season; and Ron Turner, our FIU football coach, was formerlyserving as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback coach. These great men will lead our basketball and football teams’ respectively to new heights this season.
- Be sure to mark your calendars for our Homecoming week festivities, Oct. 6-12, 2013! We want to see you decked out in blue and gold, cheering for our players at our games! For more information, visithc.fiu.edu.
Yesterday we successfully celebrated our 2013 Freshman Convocation, an annual gathering for first-year undergraduate students. Let’s do our best to welcome our youngest Panthers to the family and show them around campus! Join us for Week of Welcome celebration! There will be fun events with games and prizes throughout this entire week!
As you explore the campus show your Panther pride by taking a picture with our FIU Panther located in front of the US Century Bank Arena and post it on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter with the hashtag #FIUPanther.
FIU offers you incredible opportunities in and out of the classroom! This is your chance to make your mark and the most of your Worlds Ahead experience.
See you around campus!
Mark B. Rosenberg