Top 10 questions for the registrar

Fall registration begins Monday, Aug. 5. Here at FIU News, we know the registration process can be overwhelming – from filling out the correct applications and forms, to picking the right class, to getting a transcript that will help you start your graduate career. To help you figure it all out, we asked staff members from Enrollment Services to answer the most frequently asked questions. 

1. How do I order official transcripts?

You may order your transcripts two ways: through your MyFIU account or at Enrollment Services in PC 130 where you can fill out the transcripts request form. It is $10 per transcripts. In-person requests take about 3-5 business days during non-peak time, peak time would be about a week. There are no on the spot transcript requests.

*Please note that if you will be requesting transcripts after you complete a semester make sure that the grades are posted first.

studying2. How does the forgiveness policy work?

All undergraduate students are giving a total of three forgiveness passes – which allow a student to retake a class in which they’ve earned a grade of C- or below. Once you’ve retaken the exact course and the grade has posted, fill out a course repeat form which you can download from the OneStop website or stop by PC 130 to pick one up. Once the request has been processed, the GPA of the first attempt will not factor into the cumulative GPA.

3. When can I get an enrollment verification?

An enrollment verification can only be given after during the add/drop period of every semester. Please refer to the academic calendar for these dates.

4. I’m classified as out of state, how can I apply for instate tuition?

Proving Florida residency for tuition purposes differs depending on whether you are new or currently enrolled. If you are a first-time FIU student, you need to provide the following documents:

  • Residency Affidavit form
  • Student’s and claimant’s proof of legal status (If you are more than 24 years of age, you do not need a claimant.)
  • Two Florida documents that have been issued for a year or more for the claimant. (For a listing of all the documents and more information about claiming residency, go to

If you are a current student who was previously enrolled for classes, the process for residency is a little different. You have to go through reclassification.

  • Download or pick up in PC 130 a Residency Reclassification Application.
  • Three Florida documents that have been issued for a year or more for the claimant. (For a listing of all the documents and more information about claiming residency please go to
  • Student’s and claimant’s proof of legal status (If you are more than 24 years of age, you do not need a claimant.)

5. How can I change/add a major/minor/second degree?

You need to pick up or download the Change of Program/Plan form to change or add a major, minor or second degree. Take the form to the academic department where your program is housed and get the authorizations necessary. Once you have that, return the form to PC 130 for processing.

Student filling out form6. How do I apply as a non-degree seeking student?

Pick up or download the non-degree application and submit it via email at or drop it off in PC 130. There’s a $30 application fee that is added to your account once you add courses to your schedule. You will also need to submit proof of Florida residency as well as immunization records (MMR, Meningitis, and Heptatitis B), if you have never taken classes at FIU before.

7. I’m an FIU student, how can I take classes at another school?

An FIU student who decides to take a class at another Florida State school is called a transient student. To apply, go to  Once you have completed the application, it automatically goes to your academic advisor for approval followed by the registar’s approval.  Once that has been completed the application is sent to the school of your choice. Please contact the school to ask about their process for admissions.

8. When do I enroll for classes each semester?

Current degree-seeking students are assigned an enrollment appointment date and time. You may only enroll on the day of your appointment or after but not before.

9. How can I get into a closed class?

During the add/drop period, if the course is closed, you will need to get the authorization from the professor to get an override. They may either assign you a permission number or provide you with a memo of authorization.

10. What is the difference of dropping a course without financial liability and dropping with a DR?

Dropping a course without financial liability means the course will be dropped from your record as if you never even enrolled in the class to begin with. If you paid for the course. you will be given a full refund; if you did not pay for the class you will not be held financially responsible for the course. Please check the academic calendar on the OneStop website for the deadlines dates.

Dropping a class with a DR does count as an attempt at the course. The class remains on your record and a DR will appear right next to it. This does not affect your GPA; however, if you are a financial aid recipient, dropping with a DR could work against you. You will need to speak to a financial aid representative to further discuss this.  Please check the OneStop website for the deadline dates to drop with a DR.

Still have unanswered questions? Leave a comment or visit the OneStop website.