President Mark B. Rosenberg sent the following message to the FIU community on Oct. 3, 2013:
Dear 12th Panther,
Can you feel the FIU spirit in the air? It must be Homecoming time at FIU! We’re just days away from a week full of celebrations that include concerts, alumni reunions, and parents visiting our campus. Are you ready?
For decades, FIU Homecoming and the Panther Spirit have roared through the hearts of students, faculty, staff and alumni. Homecoming is a time for our FIU family to remember and celebrate!
I encourage alumni, retirees, faculty, staff and friends to join our students and demonstrate our Panther Pride. If you haven’t done so, set reminders in your smartphone for the Homecoming festivities that will take place the week of October 6-12th. It will all culminate at the Homecoming game where we’ll rattle The Cage as we play the University of Alabama at Birminghamat Alfonso Field at FIU Stadium!
And what better way to show off our spirit than on social media? This Homecoming week, use the hashtag #FIUHC and post your photos on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter!
No one is more passionate than the blue and gold crowd taking over Miami during Homecoming week! This is why our Homecoming Committee has worked hard to put together an amazing lineup!
The official kickoff to Homecoming Week will be on Sunday, October 6th with:
- 5K Color Run - a great way to start Homecoming week and get the adrenaline flowing! Join the FIU Triathlon Club for a fun 5K Color Run at 9 a.m. on the Biscayne Bay Campus. Run along the shore with views of yachts and Miami Beach in the distance.
- Panthermonium Concert - come out to FIU’s biggest concert yet! Join FIU students, faculty, staff, alumni and the community and enjoy live performances by DJ Zog, J. Cole, and ZEDD. To purchase general admission tickets, click here.
We also have several exciting events going on throughout the week:
- From October 6-12th, the School of Music and Department of Theatre will be hosting several events ranging from plays to jazz concerts. For the complete schedule of events and ticket information, clickhere.
- Monday, October 7th
- at 3:30 p.m., the Kickoff by the bay
- at 7 p.m., Order of the Torch is hosting their second annual Legacy Lecture featuring Dr. Modesto A. Maidique
- Wednesday, October 9th, at 6:30 p.m., the Panther Prowl featuring Craig Robinson (from NBC’s The Office), and Chris D’elia (from NBC’s Whitney)
- Thursday, October 10th, at 5:30 p.m., Panthers Got Talent where students, faculty and staff will perform.
- Friday, October 11th
- at 1:30 p.m., there will be a celebration of life honoring Dr. Paul D. Gallagher.
- at 6 p.m., FIU’s women’s volleyball will face the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- Sunday, October 13th, at 1 p.m., FIU’s women’s volleyball will face the University of Tulsa.
On the big day, Saturday, October 12th, Homecoming Day, there is a day full of activities including:
- FIU Proud Parent and Family Brunch at 11 a.m.. Invite your parents and loved ones to brunch in the Graham Center Ballrooms to kick off Homecoming Day! To RSVP, click here.
- Homecoming Parade at 3:30 p.m. This year’s Homecoming Parade will proceed through the new roadway splitting our sparkling new Parkview Hall and will feature FIU organizations, floats, performers, marching bands, dancers and more! The parade will lead to the tailgating area before the Homecoming game.
- Football game against the University of Alabama at Birmingham at 7:30 p.m. on Alfonso Field at FIU Stadium. We need you and your Panther spirit there to support our team!
Homecoming week offers an event for every Panther. For a full list of activities, please visit: http://hc.fiu.edu.
This is your FIU asking you to come back to where your future started. Let’s show that Panther Pride, get the blue and gold running through our veins, and celebrate what FIU Homecoming is all about— reuniting, reminiscing and re-energizing for our future success! Let’s show Alabama at Birmingham how we roll! Let’s go Panthers!
Mark B. Rosenberg