by Amanda Graham
Summer is fast approaching and students are turning their attention from papers and final exams to sunshine and the fit beach body. The newly renamed Wellness and Recreation Centers are great places to start burning off all the snacks from late night study sessions and shared triple dippers from Chili’s.
Here are the best 10 ways to get fit at Biscayne Bay Campus (BBC) and Modesto A. Maidique Campus (MMC):
- Panther Fit Classes: A fun, motivating and challenging way to fit exercise into your daily schedule, Panther Fit classes include spinning, yoga, Pilates, kickboxing, Ultimate Core, CardioFunk, Insanity, Zumba and HardBodies.
- Personal Training: On both campuses, professional trainers are available and committed to helping each individual achieve his or her personal fitness goals – be it a six-pack or killer legs.
- Intramural Sports: Playing intramural sports can be a great way to exercise with friends and show off your skills.
- The Adventure Recreation Program: Adventure Rec is designed to get you outdoors to experience recreation opportunities locally and around the United States.
- FIU Lose It: The program is loosely based upon TV’s Biggest Loser series that promotes weight loss in a competition-based setting. A team of clinical psychologists, chefs, physicians, injury prevention professionals and a registered dietitian gives participants the individual attention needed to help them achieve their weight loss goals.
- Aquatics Center: BBC offers an Olympic-size pool and diving tank where swim lessons are offered to adults. Swimming builds endurance, muscle strength and provides an all-over body workout that will get you toned.
- Jogging Trail: Made from approximately 5,640 recycled tires, the Jogging Path surrounding the Nature Preserve offers pedestrians and joggers better traction and a softer surface that is better for feet, ankles and knees.
- Adventure X: BBC offers programs that consist of day and night kayaking and paddle boarding as well as kayak races. No experience is needed to participate in any of the Adventure X events.
- Swim Bike Run: Tri Club includes a leadership board of FIU students, faculty, staff and community members. Led by experienced coaches, athletes of any level are welcome to join and be part of group training at BBC.
- Aqua Zumba: Take Zumba to a whole new level with great music and fun moves. The dance workout is held Wednesdays in the Panther Hall Pool.