The latest version of the FIU app, now available for download, connects you faster and more conveniently to FIU than ever before.
The app, which was completely built in-house by FIU’s Division of Information Technology (IT), now functions on everything from smartphones and tablets to 70-inch screens (Android and iOS platforms). It also integrates numerous FIU websites and information. While the earlier version of the app featured links to numerous FIU websites, the new version gives users direct access to FIU data.
“This new development allows our students, faculty and staff to have more real-time information and services available on our mobile platform,” says Vice President of IT and Chief Information Officer Robert Grillo.
Eduardo Monteiro, associate director of IT who oversaw the development of the app, says this new version of the app was a direct response to students.
“We wanted to give students what they wanted,” he says. Monteiro adds that now that everything is done in-house for the app, the FIU IT team can customize and continue to develop the app to meet the needs of students and take their feedback into account.
So far, the app has been a success. There were close to 10,000 downloads of the app in just the first three days it was available.
Check out a few of the features you can access through the new app:
- Places: You can find the dining options or ShopFIU spots currently open and closest to you. For those days when you only have a few minutes to grab a bite to eat on your way to class, this feature comes in handy!
- Transit: If you’re waiting to catch a shuttle to one of the campuses, you’ll want to check this out. With this feature, you can see the real-time location of shuttles as they come and go.
- Parking: What if you could tell which parking garages had the empty spaces before you drove halfway around the campus to find out it was already full? This feature does just that. It shows the percentage of parking spaces available at numerous parking garages to help save you time.
- FIU News: This feature keeps you in the know about what’s going on at FIU.
- Athletics: Stay up to date with your favorite Panther sports teams!
- Course Catalog: This feature lets you search for classes and offers a convenient link to my.fiu.edu
- Emergencies: Safety first! This feature shows you the number to call in case of an emergency.
Ultimately, FIU Mobile is about helping students succeed – with everything from finding convenient dining options on campus to searching for classes.
To see the app for yourself, either update your app or download the new version at the App store or the Google Play store.