As a part of FIU’s contract with Chartwells Higher Education, there will be several renovations to retail locations and dining options at Modesto A. Maidique Campus and Biscayne Bay Campus over the summer.
During this time, there will be closures and interruptions to hours of operation. Access to specific buildings may also be impacted. Please see below for more information.
- Einstein Bros. Bagels in GC will permanently close today, Thursday, April 25 at noon. The space will be renovated and will reopen in Fall 2019 as Panera Bread Company. Please note that during the renovation there will be minimal impacts to parking on the west side of Lot 35, which is located near GC.
- Chili’s in GC will close for a complete remodel on Friday, April 26. at 3 p.m. It will reopen in Fall 2019.
- The Chili’s Patio will also undergo renovation, including the addition of new outdoor seating and an expanded roof structure. The Chili’s Patio is expected to be completed and reopened later in the fall semester.
- Barnes & Noble in GC will undergo an extensive renovation over the summer. However, it will NOT close completely. Renovations will occur in stages, so there will only be minor service and access interruptions. The new bookstore will have updated seating, expanded areas for new merchandise, as well as a refreshed upstairs café and new downstairs quick service café window.
- M.A.N.G.O. dining locations (Taco Bell, Panda Express and Starbucks) will close on Friday, April 26 ,at 4 p.m. During the beginning of the summer, the first floor of MANGO will be closed to re-surface the floor. The Starbucks area will reopen on Friday, May 10. During this time, the Starbucks in the Green Library will remain open for service.
The rest of the first-floor seating area, including Panda Express and Taco Bell will re-open in mid-June.
- Starbucks in the Green Library will close for the summer on Friday, May 10. It will be completely remodeled and there will be new outdoor seating near the north entrance of the library. It will reopen in Fall 2019. Please note there will be minimal impacts to parking to the small lot on the west side of the Green Library during the renovation.
- Chick-Fil-A in PG 5 will close for the summer on Friday, April 26, and will re-open in Fall 2019 semester with a new look. The menu will also be updated to include breakfast.
- Bistro by the Bay food court (Moe’s, Burger 305 & Subway) in WUC will close on Monday, April 29, and re-open in Fall 2019. The space will undergo a complete remodel to include a variety of food stations with new options, including Italian, homestyle food, grilled entrees, a salad bar, deli and a market/grab-and-go concept. Customers will be able to pay a fixed price for one entrée, three sides and a drink, purchase a meal a-la-carte, as well as use a meal plan. Part of the space will also include a new Chick-Fil-A express, which is scheduled to open later in the fall semester. In addition to the renovations to the food service areas, a new student seating area will be added.
To accommodate the dining needs at BBC over the summer, Starbucks in HL will remain open. Mobile food trucks, including the Beefsteak Food Truck and others, will also be on campus. Look for more information on food truck locations and schedules in an upcoming communication from FIU’s Business Services.
Engineering Center Campus
- The Engineering Center Campus Kitchen will remain closed throughout the summer to complete the construction that began in January. The newly remodeled space will reopen in Fall 2019.
For updates on these projects, to see renderings of what the new spaces will look like and the new menu options that will be available, please click here.