The following message was sent to the university community earlier this evening.
As news of Hurricane Dorian’s destruction in the Bahamas continues to paint a picture of absolute devastation, many of us are looking for ways to help our Bahamian friends and neighbors.
At FIU, we are coming together to find the best short-and long-term avenues to have a positive impact on the situation. Student groups such as SGA and Caribbean Student Association are joining forces with units such as Academic and Student Affairs and the Honors College to coordinate the FIU response.
Below are a few options that the FIU community may consider moving forward.
Student leaders will collect relief items this Friday and Saturday:
- Friday, Sept. 6, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. – MMC University Towers Loading Zone
- Friday, Sept. 6, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. – BBC WUC information desk
- Friday, Sept. 6, 9 a.m. to 5:50 p.m. and Saturday, Sept. 7, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. – FIU@I-75, 3rd floor administrative offices
- Saturday, Sept. 7, 1 to 3:30 p.m. – MMC Parkview tailgate area, northwest corner
Items of greatest need. Please do not donate clothing at this time.
Latin American and Carribean Center collection:
The Kimberly Green Latin American and Caribbean Center and its student association, MALOKA, are collaborating with the Consul General of the Bahamas in Miami to collect water, food and hygienic items for the Bahamas. Donations may be dropped off in DM 365B and all items will be delivered directly to the consulate general for distribution. Specific items requested include: mosquito repellant, toothpaste and tooth brushes, disposable utensils, sanitary napkins, baby formula, canned food and water. Monetary donations will not be accepted by MALOKA or LACC. The collection runs through Sept. 11.
Help FIU students, faculty and staff impacted by Hurricane Dorian:
- FIU has activated FIUstrong to help assist FIU students, faculty and staff who may be experiencing hardship as a result of Dorian’s effects. To help members of the FIU family impacted by Hurricane Dorian, please visit https://fiustrong.fiu.edu/. If you are a member of the university community who has been impacted by Dorian please do not hesitate to ask for help. Write to FIUstrong@fiu.edu and let us know how FIU can help you.
- Donate to the FIU food pantries at BBC (WUC 353) and MMC (GC 319). Items donated to the pantries are for FIU students only.
- To donate or seek help from the TLC Brigade, please click here.
- Sign up to be an FIU disaster volunteer.
Other community efforts:
- In Miami-Dade County, four county government locations will be open Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to accept donations. County officials ask that donations be limited to items requested by the government of The Bahamas. For more information, click here.
- City of North Miami is collecting supplies, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the lobby of City Hall, 776 NE 125 Street.
- City of Miami fire stations are accepting donations. Please see complete list of locations here.
- The Bahamian consulate in Miami has set up three drop-off sites where they will be collecting donated goods:
- Christ Episcopal Church, 3481 Hibiscus Street, Coconut Grove
- Global Empowerment Movement, 340 NE 59th Terrace, Miami
- Shelter Aviation, 1100 SW 41st Ct., Ft. Lauderdale
- United Way of Miami-Dade and The Miami Herald/el Nuevo Herald have activated Operation Helping Hands to support the response, relief and recovery efforts in the areas affected by Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas and surrounding areas.
- The American Red Cross is also collecting donations for response and relief efforts.
- Broward counties public schools are accepting relief supply donations.
Thank you for your interest and your efforts to assist our neighbors impacted by Hurricane Dorian. Please be mindful of making your donations to reputable organizations with a track record of getting the relief to those affected.