Dear university community,
Thank you for the feedback provided to your Unit Designee and the Academic Continuity Team on proctored exams for remotely taught courses. We have contracted with Honorlock to provide proctoring for up to two exams per student in each class section during the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester. The cost of proctoring the two aforementioned exams will be funded by the university and will not be passed on to the student.
Honorlock is a proctoring solution that helps protect the academic integrity of assessments created within your Canvas course while offering students the ability to take their exams within the time frame allotted by the instructor. Honorlock uses automated integrity analytics and artificial intelligence to provide a human-free proctoring service.
Testing accommodations: Testing accommodations such as extended time on exams can still be applied by faculty in advance prior to the exam date. Additionally, accommodations such as notes on exams, frequent breaks, and readers/scribes, are some of the accommodations that will still need to be flagged within the proctoring guidelines textbox to ensure that there are no issues with the facilitation of this accommodation within the software
If you are interested in using Honorlock, it is already available for use directly in your Canvas course! To learn how to set up your first Canvas assessment with Honorlock, use the how-to guides below.
- Enabling Honorlock in a Canvas Exam
- Explanation of Proctoring Options (“manual review has been disabled”)
- How to View Honorlock Results
- Instructor Video Guide
Honorlock offers 24/7 support for instructors and students, both within the Honorlock tool found in Canvas and directly on the Honorlock website at honorlock.com/support. FIU is offering remote training sessions specifically on Honorlock, which you can sign up for at canvas.fiu.edu/training/faculty. Additional resources and help guides are available on the canvas.fiu.edu website for both instructors and students. If you need any assistance setting up your Canvas assessment with Honorlock, you may open a case to request a Course Consultation with a course conversion specialist.
Faculty within the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine do have a separate Canvas environment, and these changes will not impact their usage or apply to that specific environment. However, instructors may still participate in the training sessions mentioned above.
If students are in need of a laptop or a hot spot for the remainder of the semester:
- Students should fill out the PC's for Panthers form at http://go.fiu.edu/pcsforpanthers. Requests will be added in the order they are received and students will be notified via e-mail if the request can be filled.
- Students who have been notified that technology is available for pick up must do so on Thursday, March 26 or Friday, March 27 from GL or HL from noon - 4pm on both days. These are the final days available for pickup. If requested devices are not picked up, these will go to the next student on the waiting list.
- Please note the library entrances remain locked. However, staff will admit one student at a time to receive loaner devices.
- If you have any questions regarding loaners, please contact email@example.com.
Please continue consulting the FIU Coronavirus webpage for the latest information, as well as instructions on how to self-quarantine and other useful links on how to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Our frequently asked questions page is updated daily with the latest information on university operations and other important news. You may also visit the Canvas academic continuity resources for additional guidance on remote teaching. We thank you for the dedication and efforts you are putting forth to help your students succeed during this time of remote learning.