It has come to the administration's attention that there is a link circulating on social media channels that is inaccurately indicating a case of coronavirus at FIU.
There are no cases of coronavirus at FIU and the message is a hoax. It is good practice to avoid clicking on links from unknown sources.
At FIU, the health of our university community is the top priority. Like you, we are monitoring the coronavirus situation and observing CDC recommendations.
Everyone should take several precautionary steps used routinely to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses. These include:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Remain at home when you are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Cover your mouth when coughing and nose when sneezing with a tissue, and then dispose of the tissue in the trash
- Disinfect objects and surfaces you touch often
Any member of the university community with non-essential upcoming travel to China should consider postponing it. Please note that the U.S. State Department has issued a travel advisory.
Students with concerns should contact FIU Student Health Services at 305-348-2401. Faculty, staff and other members of the community can contact FIU Health at 305-348-3627(DOCS).
For accurate and updated information, visit FIU News or FIU’s social media accounts.