By Vanessa Vieites
It’s a brand-new year, and just as you started to relax from all the chaos of the holiday season, you realize that Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. If you find that you're stressing out trying to find the perfect gift for that special someone, then look no further. Why not surprise them with tickets to the Food Network & Cooking Channel South Beach Wine & Food Festival presented by Capital One (SOBEWFF®)? Just in time for Valentine’s Day, the Festival is offering the university community discounts on tickets to select events, where attendees and their loved ones can enjoy tropical cocktails, savory bites from Italy and Jamaica and more!
Anyone who’s part of the FIU community may benefit from this last-minute gift idea. Raymond Castro, who manages the Optical Express at FIU, says the Festival makes for a fun double date. “My wife and I go every year, and we usually buy four tickets and take two friends with us. It’s great to share the experience with someone.”
FIU alumni, staff and parents may use the codes FIUALUMNI20, FIUSTAFF20 and FIUPARENT20, respectively, to save 20 percent off the following events:
- Italian Bites on the Beach sponsored by HCP Media and the Miami Herald Media Company and hosted by Giada De Laurentiis & Dario Cecchini
- Chef Mash-up presented by HoneySpot App and hosted by The Naughty Fork
- Taste of Jamaica presented by Jamaica Tourist Board and Tourism Enhancement Fund and hosted by JJ Johnson and Andre Fowles
- Art of Tiki Cocktail Showdown presented by BACARDĺ Rum and Patrón Tequila
- Beachside BBQ hosted by Guy Fieri
- Croquetas & Cocktails hosted by Eileen & Jonathan Andrade
- Sweets & Beats hosted by Buddy Valastro
- Drag Brunch presented by My Fort Lauderdale Beach and hosted by Carson Kressley
- Goya Foods' Grand Tasting Village featuring Grand Tasting Tents & Publix Culinary and sponsored by Sub-Zero Group Southeast (Sunday only)
- BACARDI's Beach Carnival hosted by Andrew Zimmern
Started at the Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism Management on the Biscayne Bay Campus in 1997, SOBEWFF® is now a national, five-day event featuring world-renowned wine and spirits producers, chefs and culinary experts that attracts 65,000 guests annually. In its 19th year, the Festival will showcase more than 100 drink- and food-related events across Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties from Feb. 19–23.
To date, the Festival has raised more than $30 million, benefitting the Chaplin School. Tickets for the 2020 Festival are on sale now.