FIU was ranked among the top 10 public universities in the U.S. in nine categories in the 2021 Times Higher Education Impact Rankings for its impact on the community, based on United Nations criteria. FIU also ranked among the top 50 U.S. public universities in every Times Higher Education Impact Rankings category and among the top 50 institutions in the world in four categories.
Announced the same week as Earth Day, the rankings are the only global performance tables that assess universities against the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) – such as No Poverty, Life Below Water, Climate Action, and Gender Equality – across the areas of research, outreach, and stewardship. The 2021 rankings include 1,115 universities from 94 countries.
FIU improved its ranking for Overall Impact, now at No. 6 among U.S. public universities and No. 74 in the world.
Among top 10 U.S. public universities, FIU is ranked:
- No. 3 public university in the U.S. and No. 5 in the world for SDG 1, No Poverty, which measures universities’ research on poverty and their support for poor students and citizens in the local community. FIU’s world ranking in this category improved by 10 places since 2020.
- No. 3 public university in the U.S. and No. 11 in the world for SDG 14, Life Below Water, which measures universities’ research on life below water and their education on and support for aquatic ecosystems. Freshwater, coastal and ocean initiatives are led by the FIU Institute of Environment.
- No. 3 public university in the U.S. and No. 28 in the world for SDG 15, Life on Land, which measures universities’ research, education, and support for terrestrial ecosystems. This is FIU’s first ranking in this category for initiatives led by the FIU Institute of Environment and the Tropical Conservation Institute.
- No. 3 public university in the U.S. for SDG 16, Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions, which measures universities’ research on law and international relations, their participation as advisers for government and their policies on academic freedom.
- No. 4-6 public university in the U.S. for SDG 8, Decent Work and Economic Growth, which promotes sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- No. 6 public university in the U.S. for SDG 12, Responsible Consumption and Production, which measures universities’ research on responsible consumption and their approach to the sustainable use of resources. This is FIU’s first ranking in this category.
- No. 7-9 public university in the U.S. for SDG 7, Affordable and Clean Energy, which measures universities’ research related to energy, energy use and policies, and commitment to promoting energy efficiency in the community.
- No. 8 public university in the U.S. and No. 45 in the world for SDG 6, Clean Water and Sanitation, which measures universities’ research related to water, water usage and commitment to ensuring good water management in the community. This is FIU’s first ranking in the category for global water programs led by the FIU Institute of Environment.
FIU was also placed in the top 50 U.S. public universities in nine other categories, including:
No. 6-13 for SDG 3, Good Health and Well-Being; No. 7-15 for SDG 17, Partnerships for the Goals; No. 8-11 for SDG 5, Gender Equality; No. 10-12 for SDG 2, Zero Hunger; No. 10-13 for SDG 13, Climate Action; No. 13 for SDG 11, Sustainable Cities and Communities; No. 13-17 for SDG 9, Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure; No. 18-24 for SDG 4, Quality Education; and No. 20-22 for SDG 10, Reduced Inequalities.
The United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a call for action by all countries - developed and developing - in a global partnership. They are intended to provide a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future.
“Our faculty, staff, and students are dedicated to making positive change locally and globally,” said Kenneth G. Furton, provost and executive vice president. “We are committed to producing meaningful research, creating innovation solutions, and nurturing partnerships in our community and around the world. These latest rankings, which join other recent prestigious recognitions for FIU, are yet another testament to the important role FIU plays on a national and a global scale.”